Student Tuition and Maintenance Loan

We understand that funding your studies is a daunting and challenging prospect, but there is plenty of financial help available to you. Our Student Welfare Team is here to assist you with any questions you may have, and you should also visit the government’s website about student finance the information there is comprehensive and is updated regularly. You can find information about how, when and what you can apply for at the following link: http://portal.leeds-art.ac.uk/student-finances

Tuition Fee Loan (new and continuing students)

These loans enable you to pay for your studies, but they don’t need repaying until you’ve graduated and are earning over a certain amount. All UK full-time students are eligible for a loan to cover the full tuition fees, and the loans are not means-tested. Your fees will be paid by the Students Loans Company direct to the College, on your behalf. Student who commenced their course before September 2013 will start to repay these loans once they have completed your course and are earning over £15,000.  Those students who commence their course September 2013 and have paid the higher fees will only start to repay their loan once they have completed their course and are earning £21,000 or above. 

Student Maintenance Grant (continuing students only pre 2016 start)

One in three of our UK students may also be able to benefit from a government grant to help cover living costs; this is a grant, and so does not need to be repaid. It is means-tested, based on your family’s income, so you may qualify for a full or partial grant. For further details, click here.

Student Support Grant (continuing students only pre 2016 start)

This is awarded in place of the Student Maintenance Grant; to qualify, you or your family must be eligible for certain means-tested benefits (such as income support, even if you do not benefit directly yourself). If you are awarded the Student Support Grant, you can then choose whether to apply for a Student Maintenance Loan - which is larger than the amount made available to those who receive the Student Maintenance Grant (above). For further details, click here

Student Loans for Maintenance (new and continuing students)

The government offers repayable loans to help you pay for fees and living costs. All UK students are entitled to 75% of the full loan value; the remaining 25% is mean-tested and will depend on whether or not you continue to live at home whilst you are studying. You aren’t required to begin repaying these loans until you have left college and are earning over £21,000 a year. For further details, click here.

How do I apply for government awards, grants and loans?

You should apply online for the Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan and Maintenance Grant. Find out how at: www.gov.uk/apply-online-for-student-finance

Overseas students 

Students from the EU (excluding UK students) will only be entitled to tuition fee support. You should contact the Department for Children, Schools and Families on 0141 243 3570, or EUTeam@dcsf.gsi.gov.uk.

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)

The Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) can help with the extra costs you may face as a result of attending your course and your disability. To apply please follow the link: https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowances-dsas/overview.